Friday, April 11, 2014

April 11, 2014 - Sweetening The Pot - Donate to John Lavery'sTypewriter Fund, and Get a Custom T-Shirt

Okay, Typospherians ... it's time to kick this up a notch.

This is a work-in-progress, so bear with me ... but we need to turn up the heat a little on the "Help Ship John Lavery's Machine" fund, (the link to donate is just over -----------> there!) and this is what I am proposing to do...

What's on the table is a custom, original Brumfield & Sons Typewriters, hand-made by me, "Yes, I WILL fix your typewriter!" T-shirt.

Show those snarky PC know-it-alls with their "No, I will not fix your computer!" t-shirts, what a real technician can do!

Here is the proposal in-process:

1. Buy a T-Shirt for $20, and $15 of that will go to the fund, the rest covers most of the material costs (not including $2.50 shipping to the USA, $5, International).

2. If you already donated $25 or more, I will send you a shirt. We'll have to work out the particulars, but I'll be in touch for size, color, mailing address, etc.

Photo courtesy of

3. I have limited time to work on these on the weekends, so it will take me a little time to process them probably about 2 weeks for a turn-around - since they are all made-to-order and I do not stock the shirts, so I'll need to get them delivered and then printed.

4. I will channel this offer through Etsy so that my costs are covered, but then all proceeds will go to the "Help Ship John Lavery's Machine" YouCaring fund until we hit the $300 target.

5. Once we hit the fundraiser goal, this offer will cease - but I will still take orders through Etsy, and I will drop the price to about $15 for a shirt.

I am making the silk screen as I type this ... I am not using Zazzle - who would charge about $25 or more per shirt, I just "borrowed" their ability to nicely map my artwork onto a shirt. :-)

The first shirt isn't off the press yet - but as soon as it is, I will post pictures. I am making "safety orange" versions that my crew will be wearing at the Cincinnati Type-In - with our shop logo on the back. :-)

I will offer this as an option - if you want our logo on the back, I can do that, but by default the shirt will only have the text on the  front. We'll set that up as an option on the Etsy store.

Photo courtesy of
**UPDATE** April 15, 2014
- First official batch of blank Tees on order.
- Secondary, larger artwork in-process for some of the larger shirts (2XL+)
- Also working on open-source solutions for the very, very expensive screen printing "half tone" processing mechanism. I have hopes of adding images such as this to shirts in the near future!
My beloved, hand-cropped "swoopy" Hermes 3000

**UPDATE** April 13, 2014
Nailed the problem - over exposure. First batch is out of the press!!

**UPDATE** April 11, 2014
The silk screen has been giving me fits. This is the third attempt:

The finer detail of our logo is getting partially exposed where the light bars hit the negative (the inverse affect on the exposed image is dark vertical bars).
Going to take another shot at it - I think I have enough emulsion for two more attempts, and then it is off to the Blick art supply store. :-/



  1. Hmmn, I always had better luck doing the exposure directly in the sun, but that was many moons ago, so I forget the exposure time. No worries about banding problems that way, though. Are you using one of those big vacuum-frame exposure tables?

    1. Hey, Ted! I am using a light table, but it's neither big not vacuum powered - just gravity assistance. I used bricks this time, and halved the exposure time. I think that this new emulsion I'm using is a little more sensitive, so I don't need to be as heavy handed with the exposure time. ;-) I saw your contribution - and a shirt is yours, thank you! I'll be in touch to get your particulars (size, color, mailing address).

  2. AH! Just happened across this myself.

    We used to always do sun exposures. After all, back in Melbourne we had a much higher level of UV than elsewhere in the world. Why not use it! We would sandwich the screen between two sheets of glass, then expose it before blasting it out with a high-pressure hose.